Exercise Spotlight: Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises
Lately I’ve been spending some time watching technique videos and going back over exercises to make sure I’ve got them right and down-pat. So, in honour of my leg day, here’s my favourite exercise for calves.
How to complete Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises
- Put a block under the smith machine under the bar. If your gym doesn’t have a block, you could use a weight plate or step.
- Set the bar to the correct height.
- Add weights to the bar.
- Gripping the bar with both hands, stand on the block/plate with the balls of your feet, unlock the bar and place it on the back of your shoulders.
- Push up with the balls of your feet, raising your heels as high as you can until your calves are flexed.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before lowering your heels back down.
- Repeat as necessary.
Below is a video of smith machine standing calf raises from the very man who introduced me to them, Jim Stoppani. Bodybuilding.com’s exercise guide may also provide you with more information about this exercise.