Category Archives: Fitness
I am a big fan of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I’d much rather work harder and faster than spend hours on treadmills and elliptical machines. The below infographic by Greatist gives a good insight into the various types of HIIT training, including my personal favourite, tabata training.
Read the rest of this entry
Today marks the start of my next round of Shortcut To Shred. Even though it’s not the first time I’ve done it, the first workout was a challenge. 745 calories later, I was ready for nap, but unfortunately my day was just beginning. My gym gets painfully busy around 5pm, so I don’t really have a choice but to train in the mornings, or go later at night (which I know I won’t stick to). My biggest struggle this round will probably be staying organised, but I’ve prepped as much food as possible and really just need to kick my butt into gear.
I have been trying to think of something to get myself as a reward at the end of the 6 weeks. It’s not something I usually worry about, but I think it’d be nice to have an extra incentive. So I need some ideas – what have you bought yourself as a reward?
Earlier this year, I started doing workouts outdoors a few times a week. Before then, I’d only ever really worked out in a gym, unless you count that one time I tried a boxing/running class and vomited the whole way up the road…
Anyway, as much as I love heavy lifting, bodyweight exercises can be effective too, and are something I’ve grown to enjoy. So here are my top 5 bodyweight (outdoor) exercises, in no particular order.
Oh gosh, it’s been a while since Ive done one of these posts. Below is actually a few months worth of posts. Eeeek!
Just as a quick post, this is the workout I smashed out yesterday morning at the gym after I couldn’t sleep. Total calorie burn was just over 900 calories. I really wanted to stick to lots of the traditional fundamental workout moves.
10 mins treadmill HIIT sprint intervals
3×10 assisted pull ups
4×10 barbell squats
3×15 smith machine calf raises
3×10 barbell shoulder press
3×10 barbell bicep curl
3×10 bicep preacher curl
3×10 overhead tricep extension
3×10 tricep press
3×15 push ups
2x 1 min planks
5 min spin bike cool down
+ running or step ups between sets to keep my heart rate up when necessary
And now, off to spend my Sunday morning doing RPM Max! Happy Sunday xx
Oh, hey there! Even though I’ve been absent from writing of late, I am still working away at becoming the best possible version of myself.
While I was at the gym today, I realised I missed my two year anniversary of joining the gym and overhauling my lifestyle! April 10th, 2010 was the day I decided enough was enough and that I was tired of being overweight (I was just over 82kg!) and hating the way I looked and felt. I never thought it would become such a hobby/interest for me, but I am so glad it has.
In light of what I have dubbed my gymiversary, I think it’s time to sort out my goals for the year and get my online presence back on track!
Goals – this year
A few things I want to achieve within the next 8 months (2014):
- Reach 200kg 0n the leg press – I actually broke my personal best for the plated/sled leg press today and am currently sitting at 160kg for 10 reps.
- Get a dexa scan – This is something I really should have done a long time ago.
- Complete Run Newcastle, 30/11/2014 – In an ideal world, I’d be able to run the 12km, but I am aiming to at least run the 6km track.
- Practice yoga and meditation more regularly (yoga at least once a fortnight)
- Try at least 3 new workout types – time to branch outside of outdoor circuits and and the gym!
- Read at least 3 nutrition books
- Be able to do 5 unassisted pull-ups with good form – I am terrible at pull-ups. Time for improvement!
I’m sure I’ll think of more to add to this list soon, and I’ve really got to get some updated photos up, but for now, adiós!
Regular updates and photos can be found on my Facebook page, so be sure to stop by! x
This is Pink Iron gym, a ladies only, very pink gym located in California.
The gym features everything from pink flooring to pink weight plates and Hollywood-style bathroom mirrors.
Do you think women-only gyms have a place in the fitness world? This one is personally a little too pink for me, especially as I’m not a girly girl, but I can see why some ladies would prefer to workout in women-only zones and gyms. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
More information on Pink Iron Gym can be found in the video below or on the Pink Iron Facebook page.
Lately I’ve been spending some time watching technique videos and going back over exercises to make sure I’ve got them right and down-pat. So, in honour of my leg day, here’s my favourite exercise for calves.
How to complete Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises
- Put a block under the smith machine under the bar. If your gym doesn’t have a block, you could use a weight plate or step.
- Set the bar to the correct height.
- Add weights to the bar.
- Gripping the bar with both hands, stand on the block/plate with the balls of your feet, unlock the bar and place it on the back of your shoulders.
- Push up with the balls of your feet, raising your heels as high as you can until your calves are flexed.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before lowering your heels back down.
- Repeat as necessary.
Below is a video of smith machine standing calf raises from the very man who introduced me to them, Jim Stoppani. Bodybuilding.com’s exercise guide may also provide you with more information about this exercise.
Music is definitely a staple of my gym experience. I love to get in my own little zone, tune everything out and just concentrate on me, what I’m doing and the music.
I’ve put together a list of my top workout songs released in 2013. The playlist is available on Spotify (see below), or you can check out the songs via Youtube below as well. The playlist goes for one hour and one minute so it’s perfect for your next workout.
Less talk, more songs! Here they are, in no particular order…
- Supremacy – Muse
- Rat A Tat – Fall Out Boy feat. Courtney Love
- Professional Griefers – Deadmau5 feat. Gerard Way
- Under Control – Calvin Harris, Alesso, Hurts
- Stay The Night – Zedd feat. Hayley Williams
- It’s My Party – Jessie J
- Burn – Ellie Goulding
- Counting Stars – OneRepublic
- Clarity – Zedd feat. Foxes!
- My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark – Fall Out Boy
- I Need Your Love – Calvin Harris feat. Ellie Goulding
- Now – Paramore
- Anklebiters – Paramore
- Up In The Air – Thirty Seconds To Mars
- Come & Get It – Selena Gomez
- Radioactive – Imagine Dragons